A hair shaft drug test involves taking a small quantity of hair from within an inch and a half of the roots or from another party of the body. The hair shaft will then be analyzed for any signs of drug use within the detection time frame (roughly 90 days). The main reason that a hair drug test may be employed is due to the fact that it has a longer detection window than blood, saliva, or urine drug tests. Saliva tests have a detection window of just 1 to 3 days. Blood and urine tests fall in the mid-range of detection ability, from a week to a month. You may be asked to take a hair drug test in jobs where having employees with no drug use is considered especially important. Such jobs include but are not limited to truck driving and security agencies such as the FBI. Cops unfortunately are not routinely drug tested in the US and this may be a cause for high levels of alcohol and drug abuse among law enforcement, leading to high levels of domestic violence and police misconduct in the United States. The Journal of law and technology of the Richmond School of Law have reported that hair follicle tests have become increasingly common in the legal industry, especially when court-mandated drug testing may be required. Examples of when this type of test could be used in court include divorce, probation and child custody cases. A child custody case, for example, could employ a hair test to detect marijuana usage as far back as 3 months ago, an obvious abuse of power and privacy.
The White Paper of the American Society of Addiction Medicine or ASAM has stated that in workplace testing, the HHS department-certified labs are required to report quantitative values to the MRO on all and any Department of Transportation drug test results. Such values are also needed in certain collective bargaining scenarios and by some courts; in some cases, judges and lawyers will request them.
There exists a wide range of drugs that may be tested. Examples are stimulants including meth, opioids such as oxycontin, hallucinogens like cocaine, ecstasy, weed, and PCP, benzodiazepines, and in some scenarios designer drugs such as spice. A good estimate is that for every half an inch of hair, 30 days are covered. In theory, you could go back further than that if a person has long hair, but this practice has mostly been outlawed due to privacy concerns and less accuracy for drugs taken as long as a year ago. Should you cut your hair or let it grow? Logically, you’d suspect that older hair is more likely to have lost some drug toxins but the problem with that line of thought is that you’d then be keeping a longer drug use history on your hair, even though they are not supposed to test more than a 90-day history. The shorter your hair, the less history there is although there is a risk of higher drug concentrations. Whether you cut or keep your hair does not matter, but if you have long hair, make certain that the technician is only testing and keeping the first 1.5 inches next to the scalp. He is not supposed to test the entire hair strand.
I.5 inches only!
The following article will really help you out if you’ve got a hair follicle test coming up. Please be aware, however, that if you decide to detox ahead of a hair test or any drug test for that matter, several regions including some U.S. states have made it illegal to use a detox product ahead of a drug test.
Detection Time Window
The above chart is taken from a company in the drug testing world. It shows that with low drug use in some cases, you have a reasonable chance of passing a hair drug test. With high drug use, there’s no chance of passing without some sort of detox approach. With weed, the quantities which remain in your fat cells do not actually show how much you smoked since people can store and naturally detox cannabis metabolites at very different rates.
How long does weed stay in your hair shafts?
As you can see from the above chart, marijuana as with any of the drugs listed stays in the first 1.5 inches of your hair for approximately three months. As with a urine test or urinalysis, while the detection time varies, the longest that weed should remain detectable is 30 days. This is why you’d rather not have a hair drug test. However, if you do then it’s time to figure out a plan. You’ve got a challenging drug test ahead of you so you’ve gotta find a way to beat it.
Hair Follicle Test vs. Other Tests
Let’s look at how hair follicle tests compared with other types of drug tests (‘hair follicle test’ is a misnomer since the hair shaft is tested but we will use it so that people can find the information using their own search terms).
Urine Drug Test (Urinalysis)
Urinalyses are the most common type of drug test. Most employers who give their workers a drug test will choose a cheap urine drug test which is also arguably the easiest to beat. This gives them a disadvantage over hair tests. Also as mentioned, urine drug tests may pick up on drug metabolites if you’ve consumed any in the 30 days leading up to the test, giving it a two month shorter detection time window than hair follicle drug tests. It’s possible (in the case of marijuana) but unlikely that a urine drug test will pick up on drug use from more than a month ago. Urine tests can pick up on drugs even after their effects have worn off. A urine test tends to check for drugs such as meth, weed, alcohol, cocaine, and opiates. A regular urine test is an immunoassay test. The first stage of this test involves analyzing a sample by using antibodies to check how the substances in the sample react with them. If they react in a specific manner, this points towards drug toxins being present in the urine. The second stage is designed to rule out false positives. It is known as a GC-MS test. The GC or gas chromatography part of this stage separates the sample’s components before a mass spectrometer analyzes each component independently for evidence of drug residues.
- Cheap and popular
- Accuracy is acceptable
- Longer detection window than a saliva test
- Shorter detection time frame than a hair follicle drug test.
Saliva Drug Test
Saliva tests aren’t as common as urine tests but they are more popular among employers than hair follicle tests. They won’t pick up on long-term use since they’ve got a detection window of just 2-3 days. It’s a quick and straightforward test. They take a mouth swab which is then analyzed for evidence of drug use. Since they take the swab from you, there’s no risk of testers getting an adulterated sample. Generally, a saliva test or mouth swab test is used to pick on drugs like amphetamines, meth, cocaine, alcohol, and cannabis. To help beat a saliva test, simply use a peroxide mouthwash before the test, just like you would after dinner. Peroxide is an oxidizer naturally present in the body.
- Straightforward and quick
- No risk of testers receiving an adulterant sample
- Has a very short detection window
Blood Drug Test
Probably the rarest type of drug test is a blood test. One of the major advantages of a blood test is that the sample cannot be adulterated very easily. Usual detox products won’t do much to cleanse your blood of drug toxins. They’re very accurate but as an invasive method, they’re not commonplace. They are usually used to pick up on cocaine, meth, amphetamines, cannabis, nicotine, alcohol, and opiates. To help beat a drug test, try taking baking soda as instructed on the box as an antacid. A single teaspoon in a cup of water is all that is needed, high dosages can cause stomach tearing.
- The high degree of accuracy
- Longer detection window than saliva drug tests
- Not as long a detection period as a hair follicle drug test
- Invasive and unpopular
- Generally quite costly
Hair Follicle Drug Test
- The hair follicle drug test detection times is equal to 90 days
- Doesn’t require the privacy of a urinalysis
- Not as invasive as a blood test
- Longer detection window than urine, saliva and blood tests
- It’s difficult to fool this type of test
- A regular user will find it hard to beat this test
- Hair drug tests get more positive rates than most methods
- Long hair strands can reveal plenty of drug history, but only the first 1.5 inches are generally allowed to be tested, revealing on 90 days of drug use or heavy metal/pesticide exposure
- Not as straightforward as saying a saliva test
- Most expensive type of drug test
- Won’t pick on extremely recent drug use
- Hair follicle tests aren’t good at establishing the quantities of drugs a person uses
- Can take up to 5-10 days for drugs to be detectable for a hair drug test
- Drug residues will decrease due to perms, hair dyes, and other cosmetic hair treatments
How Can You Beat a Hair Follicle Drug Test?
There are plenty of approaches you can take to detoxing your hair of drug toxins. Bleaching & dyeing, the Jerry G Method and the Macujo Method are the most popular. Bleaching, dyeing, and perming have the most scientific research behind them. We are merely describing methods people claim online or which have scientific backing. We cannot recommend any method and the user must take whatever risk upon himself. Our choice simply uses a regular hair bleach and dye according to the instructions on the box. Dye your natural hair color. Thus you avoid dangerous attempts and access a scientifically baked method. The following approaches have been reported online.
DIY Home Detox Remedies
There are plenty of hair detox products on the market which we will discuss in more detail later in this article. Let’s take a look at some of the most popular DIY home detox remedies.
- Wash hair.
- Bleach with an ammonia-based product and then dye the hair your natural color (pink and purple hair will be disqualified).
- Apply a thick baking soda paste onto your scalp and hair. Leave it there for 10 minutes.
- Wash your hair with an effective detox shampoo. It may cause some hair damage. Avoid things that may damage the skin, scalp, or eyes (wear goggles).
- Apply distilled white vinegar to your hair and scalp.
- Add a salicylic acid shampoo.
- Wipe and clean your face and rest of the body (you might decide to employ a natural toner like apple cider vinegar).
- Put your hair in a shower cap, then wait half an hour.
- Rinse your hair.
- Wash it a minimum of two times with a high-quality detox shampoo.
- Rinse it out.
Aloe Toxin Rid Shampoo + Zydot Ultra Clean
Zydot Ultra Clean Shampoo
The Dos and Don’ts of Detoxing
Cause A Certain Degree of Hair Damage: Do
The reality is that you will need to cause a certain level of damage to your hair if you want to beat a hair drug test. This appears to be the secret to beating the test. You damage the shaft, break the cuticle, and flush the residues out in the hair closest to the scalp. You may want to wear goggles and apply petroleum jelly around the hairline to prevent chemical burn or allergic reaction on your hairline.
Smoke Prior to the Test: Don’t
Obviously you should avoid smoking ahead of your test. You’ve gotta avoid drugs for as long as you can before the test day. Once you know there’s a test coming up, you should abstain from drug use. Even though it will take a week for the weed to get from your blood into your hair, it may get directly in your hair from your sweat, or from a weed-contaminated comb.
It might seem intuitive that shaving is the perfect solution to hide drug use from a hair follicle test. However, then they’d simply take hair from other body parts like your pubes or armpits. If they can’t do that they’ll either take a urine or blood sample to analyze or, if worse comes to worst, you’ll simply be disqualified there and then, failing the test. Also if they knew you had hair before arriving at the test center, this would raise suspicions. So you should avoid shaving, it’s not a smart approach.
Tricks That Won’t Help You Pass a Hair Follicle Drug Test
There’s plenty of ideas and tricks promoted on the internet, especially via social media and forums when it comes to attempts to beat drug tests. One trick that won’t work is using a wig. Someone will probably notice it’s a wig straight away. Even if it is a good one, there’s always a risk that the testers or another person such as from the company may recognize that it’s not your natural hair. It’s far too risky. You should also avoid detox pills. The relevant toxins are in your hair after all. You need to access the hair shafts, break them open, and remove drug toxins and pills won’t do that. They might help with passing other tests such as a urine drug test but not a hair test.
The Macujo Method: Pass a Hair Drug Test in 24 hours (1 day)
This method is a popular one among the online drug detox community, but does it actually work? While, to the best of our knowledge, there aren’t any scientific studies to back up this approach, many drug users including weed users have reported that they passed a hair follicle test after using the Macujo method. This is even if they’re frequent users. In addition, plenty of detox products and masking agents that were once looked at as mere myths have since been shown to be capable of beating tests. As a consequence, drug companies are always focusing on ways to prevent cheat methods and to keep ahead of the game. With this method, you do run the risk of damaging your hair. In fact, that’s pretty much the goal. You’ll need to wear protective gear like goggles and gloves to prevent harm to your eyes and hands from the chemicals used. Do not use this method if you’ve had past reactions to chemicals applied to your scalp and only undertake the Macujo method if something big is on the line like a job, for example. Also, use at your own risk. We cannot recommend this method, nor did we invent it. For now, it is the most popular method trusted by users.
- First, you’ll need to use vinegar. The original directions stipulate that you should rinse your hair thoroughly but my intuition says that you shouldn’t do this as this will add another barrier atop your hair oil. You want to get rid of your hair oil temporarily so that you can access the hair shafts, break them open and flush out their toxins. Store vinegar should be applied directly unless you’ve got a sensitive scalp. The vinegar should be worked right through the scalp and the roots. Remember they are only testing the roots. You can miss as much of your other hair with the treatment as you like. Only the roots will be tested, 1.5 inches. You don’t want to apply any ingredients for this method to your genital area or armpits so don’t get your haircut for the test. And don’t dye your hair purple or any other unnatural color, because they will use body hair for the test if you do.
- Then, apply the Clean and Clear to your hair with the vinegar still there. Leave this mixture on your head for 30 minutes with a shower cap.
- Fully rinse your hair. Get all of the ingredients out of your hair that’s in it so far.
- Apply and rinse out Toxin Rid Aloe Shampoo. You are supposed to use the old product or the replacement sold by testclear.com but it is overly expensive and not truly different from any good detox shampoo. If you can’t get this one, find another which contains aloe. The aloe will at least protect your head from scalp inflammation. You can also just get an extra bottle of Ultra Clean which has been scientifically proven to remove drug residues.
- Reapply the shampoo, then rinse it out.
- Add a few drops of Tide laundry detergent prior to washing it out of your hair. If you’ve got issues with itchiness or you really don’t like the thought of this part, you can skip this step but without it, your chances of passing the test might be lowered. Tide contains proteases that will break down proteins (like papain from papaya fruit). You are risking your hair and scalp health with the Macujo method, so you need to ask yourself how much damage you’re willing to cause.
- Finally, you’ll need to shampoo your hair with Zydot Ultra Clean right before the test.
- This method should be employed three times on the day of the test. If you get any irritation the first round, abort. Just one round will give you a chance of passing. Instead of doing more rounds, simply use Zydot Ultra Clean two more times. One round of Zydot removes up to 33% of weed residues, so hopefully, 3 rounds will remove enough to be undetectable.
Q: Can hair follicle drug test shampoos work to pass a drug test?
A: Products like old-style Toxin Rid shampoo and Zydot Ultra Clean are very popular among drug users who detox. Zydot is certainly worth a try. It’s not too expensive, plus it features aloe vera. Aloe might not have the key to beating a hair follicle test, but it’s gonna reduce inflammation from the other ingredients you may be applying to your scalp. The thing is, a detox shampoo isn’t the answer in itself. You need to cause damage to your hair and the more harsh to your hair the method is, the better your chances are of beating the test. A detox shampoo can play its part but it isn’t the sole answer to beating a hair test.
Q: Will bleaching work?
A: Yes. Bleaching and dyeing are both proven by science to reduce the detectability of drug toxins. It seems that their ability to damage hair, allowing drug toxins to be removed is the reason for their proven success. Be sure to use a treatment containing ammonia and dye your hair your natural hair color.
Q: Will the testers pick up on my detox?
A: Probably not. If the signs of damage are too obvious then they might recognize that you’ve performed a detox effort. One is free to damage his hair, but if you dye it an unnatural color, then they may disqualify you. So dye your hair it’s natural color.
Best Hair Detox Products
Old Style Aloe Toxin Rid Shampoo
This product is the most powerful hair detox shampoo out there, it is claimed, but this could be a marketing ploy to sell regular shampoo. Old Style Aloe Toxin Rid Shampoo could be costly. If you have that kinda money and need the confidence, have at it. It has lots of positive reviews from users that passed their test. It isn’t such a big expense if you have lots of money and want to save your job. You could make back the cost of it pretty quickly with your new employment. You can get this product with Zydot Ultra Clean as a free addition. This means you’ll have most of the necessary purchases for the Jerry G or Macujo method.
- Popular detox shampoo to pass a hair follicle drug test
- Can be used as part of the Jerry G or Macujo method
- Not cheap
Zydot Ultra Clean
We’ve also mentioned this product in the Macujo method. It’s a very popular hair follicle drug testing shampoo that you can buy for less than 40 bucks. It’s likely that Old Style Aloe Rid doesn’t do anything particularly special. However, Zydot has one study proving it’s efficacy, unlike Aloe Rid. What you want is damaged hair that is still intact with a balance between damage caused and minimal signs of tampering, if possible. For example, you shouldn’t dye your hair a color that obviously isn’t your natural hair color.
- Relatively inexpensive shampoo detox product
- Another popular product
- Often comes free with Old Style Aloe Toxin Rid
- More expensive than regular store shampoo.
Here’s what’s included in Zydot Ultra Clean;
- Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate
- Tetrasodium EDTA
- Tocopheryl Acetate
- Sodium Laureth Sulfate
- Sodium PCA
- Sodium Thiosulfate
- Stearyl Alcohol
- Wheat Amino Acids
- Polyglyceryl-3 Distearate
- Potassium Chloride
- PPG-10 Cetyl Ether
- Propylene Glycol
- Sodium Chloride
- Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride
- Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein
- Octyl Methoxycinnamate
- Alpha-Glucan Oligosaccharide
- Aqueous Extract of Aloe Vera
- Avocado Oil
- Butyl Methoxydibenzoyl Methane
- Caprylic / Capric Triglyceride
- Ceramide 3
- Cetearyl Alcohol
- Citric Acid
- Cocamide DEA
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine
- Distearyldimonium Chloride
- DM Hydantoin
Our Choice: The Jerry G Method with Zydot Ultra Clean
- 1 to 3 boxes of Zydot Ultraclean
- 2 Hair bleach and dye packet with ammonia and your natural hair color
- 10 days to do this
Step 1. Stop smoking, using drugs, or OTC supplements such as kratom which are sometimes tested for.
Step 2. 10 Days out, bleach and dye your hair according to the instructions on your dye kit. Shampoo with Zydot Ultra Clean.
Step. 3. On day 10, bleach and dye again. Shampoo with Zydot.
Step. 4. Put a baking soda paste in your hair to neutralize acids. Leave in for 15 minutes. Rinse out. Shampoo with Zydot. Tip: Remember you are targeting your roots, so make sure all treatments reach your roots.
Can you beat a hair test? According to science, yes. Social media also says yes and so do we. But the catch is that you’ve gotta be willing to damage your hair. After all, what other way are you gonna get the drug toxins out? If you’ve got dyed hair, you might want to dye it again, maybe even twice. Bleaching and dyeing work. A study showed a more than 60% reduction in morphine in a hair sample with the use of these approaches. That’s a pretty incredible outcome and it is believed that the damage caused by bleaching and dyeing or any hair detox method for that matter is the key to success. Only detox your hair like this, causing damage if it’s for a good reason. Your hair grows at a rate of one and a half inches for every 90 days. Drugs such as marijuana stay in your hair follicles for about 90 days in total. Legally, testing companies cannot test for more than an inch and a half. So what you’ve got to do is bleach, dye, shampoo and you’re golden!
 “Hair Follicle Drug Testing Frequently Asked … – Health Street.” https://www.health-street.net/blog-drug-testing/hair-drug-testing-facts-and-myths/. Accessed 7 Jul. 2020.
 “Alcohol Abuse Among Police Officers | Hazelden Betty Ford ….” https://www.hazeldenbettyford.org/education/bcr/addiction-research/alcohol-abuse-police-ru-716. Accessed 13 Jul. 2020.
 “Alcohol Abuse Among Police Officers | Hazelden Betty Ford ….” https://www.hazeldenbettyford.org/education/bcr/addiction-research/alcohol-abuse-police-ru-716. Accessed 13 Jul. 2020.
 “Do 40% of police officer families experience domestic … – KUTV.” 1 Jan. 2019, http://kutv.com/news/local/40-of-police-officer-families-experience-domestic-violence-study-says. Accessed 13 Jul. 2020.